The Resurrection of Jesus from the dead is such an important event that it has always been surrounded with controversy. Some reject the resurrection story completely and insist that it is possible to be a Christian in every way without the resurrection.
What Does The Bible Say?
I Corinthians 15:3-8 says... ‘For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.'
I Corinthians 15:12-20 says... ‘Now if Christ is preached as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised; if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain. We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified of God that he raised Christ, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised. If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied.'
In this passage the Bible teaches us:
1. If Christ was not raised then no one is raised from the dead. Verse 13
2. If Christ has not been raised then the apostles' preaching is empty. Verse 14
3. If Christ has not been raised then our faith is vain. Verse 14
4. If Christ has not been raised then the apostles are liars. Verse 15
5. If Christ has not been raised then our faith is futile. Verse 17
6. If Christ has not been raised then Christians who have died have perished. Verse 18
7. If Christ has not been raised then we are a pitiful bunch. Verse 19
But read verse 20 of I Corinthians 15... ‘But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep.'
This means in Christ we face resurrection from the dead...the promises of the apostles are true...our faith is sure...and those in Christ are the Blessed of the Universe.