WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?
How do you know if a teacher is a false teacher or not? Some go by personality. Some go by popular opinion.
What Does The Bible Say?
Matthew 7:15-23 says... "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. A sound tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will know them by their fruits. Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.'
From this scripture Jesus teaches us:
1. There are false teachers.
2. These false teachers deliberately teach error.
3. They are like wolves.
4. You can know them by their fruit (what happens when their teachings are carried out). Do I get closer to God? Is my life better?
5. Just ‘saying' Lord, Lord is not enough.
6. We must do the will (obey his commands) of God.
Since false teachers are not going to heaven, you want to avoid them.